Poker is a game meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is a game of cards that usually involves gambling, and requires skills and chance. Poker is said to have derived its name from a French word, poque, which means to brag or bluff, in the 19th century. A complete set of cards, known as a pack, deck or set, is needed for a game and each player is handed subsets of cards known as hand, while playing.
Variants of poker
- Straight- this is where players have a complete hand, and the players bet in one round, allowing raising and re-raising.
- Stud poker- it includes a round of betting following each round of face-up or face-down.
- Draw poker- players have the option to change their hand after a complete round face-down.
- Community card poker- players are given an incomplete hand, facedown, and the rest community cards placed on the table for a player to pick and complete a five hand. Texas hold-em and Omaha are some of its examples.
About Online Poker
Online Poker is simply poker played via the internet so that you can enjoy the perks of gambling, without having to go to the casino. There are many sites online that offer a vast range of poker games, some of which are free. One is able to access more games and there are fewer tricks involved in playing online poker as compared to live poker. Online poker breakthrough came in after an amateur poker player, Chris Moneymaker, won $2.5 million, in an online tournament. The thought of winning real money online makes the game even more popular.
Requirements for playing poker
Any laptop, or desktop built in the early 2000’s has enough processing power to enable one play online poker. One can also download poker apps to allow you to play whenever you want. Regarding money, one can start playing free games, or games requiring as little as $0.01; sure that cannot make anyone go broke! Once you have the requirements, the first step is to download an online poker software, after which you will be required to open up an account. One must also be eighteen years or older and have a credit card, such as Master Card, to deposit money to the poker site.
Among the different types of poker, Texas Hold-em suits best for start-ups, since it’s easy to learn, it serves as a good introduction to the poker world. In online poker, there is a variety of games of which you can participate in;
- Online Poker Tournaments- they are a great potential to win instant cash. One pays for the buy-in and gets a stack of chips, the moment you lose your chips you’re out of the game, and the winner is the player who eventually collects all chips.
- Sit & Go’s- small tournaments that involve some people sitting at a table.
- Cash games- one plays with chips that have real value, and it’s flexible in the sense that one can cash out any time.
Establish the extent of which one may bet.
- Fixed limit- includes fixed amounts of how much one can bet and raise by.
- No limit- no limit on the number of raises, but a player cannot bet more than what they have on the table.
- Pot limit- number of chips in the pot determine the players’ bets and raises.
For beginners who want to start agen poker online, they should choose their games depending on its availability, risks, personal enjoyment, and skill level.